Thursday, September 30, 2010

Mandarin Danvers

139 Endicott Street
Danvers, MA 01923
Phone: (978) 774-8588
http://www.mandarindanvers.com

In an area where the Chinese food ranges from inedible to mediocre, Mandarin Danvers stands out as a notch above the rest.

I've lived most of my life in north New Jersey, where the Chinese food was overall good (although no New Yorker would admit to that, but that's for another post). Tragically I moved to Arizona for seven whole years where the Chinese food was beyond scary (again, for a future post). It's nice to be back in the northeast where the restaurants at least have some standard of quality.

Mandarin Danvers serves much better food than any other Chinese restaurant I've tried in the area. Even better and less expensive than Su Chang's in Peabody, in my opinion. I would even say their food is almost comparable to what I ate in NJ. Avoiding the buffet is your best option since that's not their better, or fresher food.

I've eaten there many times since moving to Danvers a year ago and have been content with the food ordered off the menu. The portion sizes are generous and their prices are reasonable. I have found that overall the meat and vegetable dishes are superior to the noodle ones. The wonton and hot and sour soups are respectable, and you can't go wrong with the beef and broccoli, general tso chicken, or moo goo gai pan either. They also have really good chicken wings, even if technically those aren't Chinese food.

Since eating good Chinese food has always been rather important to me, it gives me comfort that Mandarin Danvers exists in my town. Their food is nothing to write home about, but compared to the other close by options, and what I endured in Arizona, it's like a walk down Mott Street.

I rate them a 4 out of 5.

1 comment:

  1. I have lived in AZ too, and wholeheartedly agree with you regarding the quality of Chinese food there. It's basically inedible to say the least!

    Mandarin of Danvers is pretty good quality - I like their hot & sour soup and chicken and veggie dishes.

    I tried their buffet and have to agree with you that the food is not the freshest. I tend to stay away from buffets in general due to portion control.

    What doesn't impress me is the fact that they charge extra for rice - what's up with that? I also miss those crunchy noodles they put out right away for nibbling while you wait for the food to arrive.

    Other than that, I can't complain about the place (3.5 out of 5).

    ReplyDelete